[mythtv] DVB-T MPEG4 in Myth

Simon Kenyon simon at koala.ie
Mon Jun 22 13:58:07 UTC 2009

My local broadcaster is rolling out DVB-T
The document specifying it is:

http://www.rtenl.ie/downloads/RTE-FTA-DTT-Receiver-Spec.pdf

In particular, it says (and I quote from the above):

"The IRD shall support video decoding for;
􀂃 MPEG2 video decoding up to Main Profile at Main Level (MP at ML)
􀂃 MPEG4 AVC (H.264) video decoding up to High Profile at Level 3 (SDTV).
􀂃 MPEG4 AVC (H.264) video decoding up to High Profile at Level 4 (HDTV).
Observe specifically that this means that all IRD shall support MPEG4
SDTV services using High
Profile video encoding tools, MPEG4 AVC (H.264) HP at L3. (This HP at L3 is
the common usage for
MPEG4 AVC video encoding of SDTV services within the Swedish DTT network).
The IRD shall support still picture for all MPEG4 AVC profiles."

My question is. Given a suitable signal, should i be able to "properly"
decode this?
The reason I ask is that with my TD-500 and my Terratec XS I get a
picture which breaks up a lot.
there are a lot of error in the mythfrontend log.

I get similar errors from mplayer, so wonder if I am asking myth to do
something it is not capable of.

Regards
--
Simon