[mythtv] Flowplayer in Mythweb

Chase Douglas chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 12:37:34 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 7:49 AM, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com> wrote:

>> > Just an update for the rest of you on why this change didn't go in.
>> >
>> > I took some time tonight to read through the GPLv3 and I'm pretty sure
>> > that we can't remove the Flowplayer logo.  I'm definitely not a lawyer,
>> > but after all of the work I've participated in on policies, agreements,
>> > and contracts for Schedules Direct, I've gotten pretty good at seeing
>> > the ways that legalese *could* be interpreted.

Flowplayer is open source with devs who most likely want people to be able
to use it. One of the MythTV devs should at least ask the flowplayer devs if
an exception can be made for MythTV, or to put pressure on them to realize
that this may not be the best way to spread their software. I haven't looked
into it though, but maybe this requirement is their so they can make people
pay for a full license to use it without the logo? In that case they may not
change their licensing, but they might make an exception for a free open
source product like MythTV.