[mythtv] Currently Watched Progress Bar

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Jan 15 12:47:52 UTC 2009

Graham Finlayson <graham.finlayson at gmail.com> says:
> For my own benefit, I wanted to know how far through watching each recording
> I was.

Useful idea. This would completely obviate the need for a bookmark
icon; no progress bar, or progress bar set to zero, means it's not
been watched.

> 1) I calculate the current position in the recording from the ProgramInfo
> bookmark, which is based on the number of frames that have been
> shown.  Currently, I divide by 25 to get the number of seconds. Can
> the frames per second rate be different to 25,

FPS can and does vary, even within a single recording. Here in North
America, they can be 24 (most movies on premium-movie channels;
actually, in practice, anywhere from ~22.5 to ~24.75, with lots of
attendant switching betwee progressive and interlace frames), 30
(1080i and 480i), 60 (720 and
480p) , ~22.48 (480i analog delivered via FireWire; I really ought to
start a thread on this particular monstrosity one of these days). See
<URL:http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1941> for one result of the
varying framerates.

> and if so is there an efficient way to get this value?

mythfrontend outputs fps data to its logfiles updated every several
seconds, so fps must be retrivable/calculable somehow from the
recording even if code has not yet been written to let mythfrontend
accurately display data in the OSD. If you could along the way solve
the issue #1941 raises, you'd certainly have my gratitude; it is
purely cosmetic but doesn't eliminate its annoyance. Note, also, that
the inaccuracy is purely from the standpoint of displayed
minutes/seconds in the OSD; if I jump to 1:39 in a two-hour recording
that the OSD displays as being 1:40 long I will indeed be very close
to its end.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array