[mythtv] Ongoing struggle of bug 4989

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Feb 5 19:43:23 UTC 2009

On 02/05/2009 06:20 AM, Jelle De Loecker wrote:
> Op dinsdag 03-02-2009 om 15:15 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Michael
> T. Dean:
>> On 02/03/2009 01:20 PM, Jelle De Loecker wrote:
>> > Good evening everyone,
>> >
>> > Some of us are still struggling with bug 4989:
>> > http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/4989
>> >
>> > I'm not sure what to do now, the bug has been closed because
>> apparently
>> > "it's a feature request".
>> >
>> > I understand this is low priority, as it only affects a few people,
>> but
>> > to call it a feature request is nearly making fun of our situation
>> >
>> No, it's simply acknowledging that there's a perfectly usable approach
>> for doing what you want that requires no new code.
>>
>> Best approach:
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/342420#342420
>>
>> No new code required.
>>

> I thank you for taking the time to write all of that down, it's a nice
> temporal workaround for some people, but you must understand that this
> is not a usable, permanent, fix.
> As you said, in this setup, 2 seperate tuners could be locked to the
> same multiplex, which is completely inefective.

You didn't read the whole post...  (Though it seems you did at least
find the post, unlike I thought when I wrote that last message...)

If you keep reading, after describing a verified configuration, I
presented a recommendation for how to change the configuration such that
it will /not/ have the same issue as the verified configuration.

> I'm not asking anyone to fix it for us, but at least acknowledge that
> this is not the way it should behave and leave the bug open shouldn't
> be too much to ask.
>
> Btw, I just noticed another Multirec bug made by janne:
> http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5998
> It doesn't tackle this problem directly, but could fix it "down the
> line". I'll ask what he/she has in mind for it, otherwise I'm thinking
> about creating a bounty for this.

His plan is to make it so that virtual tuners are created on the fly
when appropriate, and not stored in the DB.

Mike