[mythtv] Mythtv Bug 4989

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Thu Feb 5 13:44:09 UTC 2009

On Thursday 05 February 2009 12:56:35 Paul Gardiner wrote:
> > But closing the bug is more like saying "your problem does not exist"
>
> Yeah, I do sympathise with your view. I too can understand the bug never
> getting fixed, but there seems to be a sort of strange pride in ignoring
> it. :-)

I don't know where you guys are getting this idea from. If it makes you any
happier, we've heard you, now what does that change exactly? I locked the
ticket because people were posting 'me-too' to a closed ticket and that is
against the rules*.

Maybe what you really wanted from us is some sort of debate over why none of
us are especially interested in working on the change? Well I'm sorry but we'd
all rather spend that time actually getting things done.  I know this
particular feature has been discussed in the past, I'm not sure there is
anything to add to that. As ever, if you provide a suitable patch it will be
considered for inclusion, we're not vetoing the idea, we're simply saying that
we have no intention of making the changes at this point.

* There seems to be a growing misunderstanding about Trac and how it should be
used. Trac exists to make the lives of the committing developers easier. It is
there to 'track' bugs, patches and tasks for a future release, it's not a
general discussion board for users or the project as a whole. When we close
tickets we do it so that we can get a clear picture of the outstanding issues
and find the ones we want. The more tickets exist in Trac, the harder it
becomes to manage things and more important bugs or fixes will go overlooked
as a result.

Reading every ticket, reviewing and testing the attached patches and
commenting on them takes a huge amount of time. If we were to give every
single one the same amount of our time we'd never get anything else done. So
we ask people to understand that feature requests do not go into Trac, that
patches or issues which have already been refused or have no hope of commit
are not put in Trac and that people do not post discussions and 'me too' posts
in the comments of a ticket. By adhering to these rules you make our job
easier and free up our time to work on getting the next release out the door.
--
Stuart Morgan