[mythtv] VDPAU change in revision #19935

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 10:07:24 UTC 2009

Hi

I've noticed that Isaac removed the Advanced 1X and Temporal 1X in
VDPAU in revision #19935 (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/19935)
because "they do not work" and only the 2X ones do.

Well, I strongly disagree with this conclusion..

In all my tests ; Advanced 2X and Temporal 2X aren't usable with HD
content on either the 8400GS (G98), 9400GT or even the 9400 IGP found
on either the mac mini or the Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard
(http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2946).

Only Advanced 1X and Temporal 1X work on HD for those cards, and they
work very well ; much better than Bob or One-Field.

Only the 8600GT and 9600GTmanaged to do Advanced 2X or Temporal 2X on
HD content.

The 8400gs can't do any of the advanced deinterlacing on HD content ;
for this one you are stuck with bob.

So by removing Advanced 1X and Temporal 1X, you are pretty much
removing the only good deinterlacers working with HD content.. That's
kind of a big step-down.

I'm guessing the issues Isaac is seeing are limited to the video card
he owns rather than a generic problem... And this has been confirmed
by what most people have reported so far..

Hope they will be put back...

Cheers
Jean-Yves