[mythtv] Improved search function with autocomplete/autosuggest (was Re: Ideas for MythMusic rewrite)

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 16:50:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 8:45 AM, Christian Szpilfogel
<chrisznews4 at rogers.com> wrote:
> Jonathan Martens wrote:
>>
>> Search through tracks, artists and the like by keying in the letter, but
>> not only the first. I would really love a kind of auto-complete, e.g. when I
>> cue in P I might get:
>>
>> Pearl Jam
>> Pigeon Detectives
>> PJ Harvey
>>
>> When I cue in E after that I only have Pearl Jam.
>
> I believe the Search function already does that. It is not specific to the
> beginning of the search string; it will match the string within any of
> artist, album, or track. But yes, I would definitely like to see that
> feature preserved and improved.

MythUI already has an incremental search widget that is used in
various spots in the frontend, notably MythVideo and MythGame.  The
developer can implement it as a mid-word search or a "from the
beginning only" search.  There's no work that needs to be done on
this.

Robert