[mythtv] Ideas for MythMusic rewrite

Otto Kolsi otto at kolsi.fi
Wed Dec 30 18:28:27 UTC 2009

Unfortunately cannot produce any mocks or UI designs, but here are some
other feature ideas. Apologies that not all are strictly UI related :)

On 30.12.2009 19:40, Christian Szpilfogel wrote:
> 2) I agree with the DJ mode idea. 90% of the time I usually just build
> up a play list based on what I'm in the mood for.

+1

One thing I'd like to be able to do is to easily see and select "best"
songs from particular artist (or maybe genre). This is related to DJ
mode.. in parties you know the artists you like and you'd like to hear
the best music from them but currently finding those easily and
inserting into play queue is not possible with MM.

I've been thinking about dynamic smart playlists also. So that you could
select e.g. 100 "good" songs which are not recently listened. And once
all those are listened, MM could automatically generate new set of songs
with the same criteria.

This can be related to DJ mode so that it will automatically randomize
e.g. 5-15 new songs to the end of playlist if the playback is near the
end. I think this feature is implemented in MediaMonkey (win) and it's
called DJ mode (or party mode) there.

Small issue related to these is just re-randomizing normal playlist once
it is listened through one time using one of the random modes.

 > 4) Jinzora has an interesting feature which shows similar artists
 > to the one currently being played. In the context of MM if it
 > showed only matches in your library that would make it quite useful.
 > I believe they use echocloud.

This would be very nice. Or any other type of recommendation / similar
artist system.

MM could also provide way to query additional info from the playlist
(artist, album, song, ...). That would use MythBrowser or similar
smaller browser widget and users would be able to configure info
"providers".

Someone mentioned killing the ProjectM/LibVisual support. For me those
are working well so wouldn't like to loose em. It would be nice if
visualizers could be contained somehow so that segfaulting visualizer
doesn't take whole frontend down. IMHO visualisers are still a secondary
thing and when re-implementing MM, those could be left to be implemented
in some later versions.

Some kind of album art browse mode would probably be nice with new MythUI.

In the longer term I'd like to be able to mix music video and DVD files
with normal songs. So that you could have your music DVD songs in MM
playlist and listen the music and watch the video in small visualizer
type of window. Which could then be expanded to full screen playback of
the video.

Other issues:
- Replay Gain
- Last.fm