[mythtv] Ideas for MythMusic rewrite

Micah F. Galizia micahgalizia at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 18:21:27 UTC 2009

On 09-12-30 07:53 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> We'll probably regret this but we would like your opinions :-)  We are
> in the process of  switching MythMusic to MythUI and would like to take
> the opportunity to make some much needed improvements to the interface.
>
> We don't necessarily  just want a list of feature requests, although
> every idea will be considered, but also how they should be implemented,
> what the interface should look like etc. If you can provide mock ups of
> how it should look or links to images of how other players do things
> then all the better.
>
> You should bear in mind the limitations of keeping the interface usable
> on a TV using a remote control and where possible using the existing
> widgets available in MythUI.
>
> Our goal is not to implement every idea from the start but to make sure
> the final plan is flexible enough to at least be extended with the best
> ideas in the future.

It would be nice if different types/sources of audio were kept in mind
at the design phase.  For example, the databasebox currently requires
special handling of cd tracks and normal audio.  Adding streams to it
required further specialization, and I imagine it might be nice to add
podcast support or some other audio service (like Grooveshark) one day too.

If we allowed different types of tracks in the DB, then it might
simplify storage, and we would only require additional UI screens for
adding the different types of audio.

TIA
--
Micah F. Galizia
micahgalizia at gmail.com

"The mark of an immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause,
while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for
one."   --W. Stekel