[mythtv] Why MythTV didn't handle the UK Freeview lineup change

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Aug 5 14:18:50 UTC 2009

John, can you please stop opening new threads and keep the threaded
discussion correct - if you don't know what I mean then please use
google and learn about mail threading

> Please stop saying 'for some reason'. A work around and suggested fix
> has been offered. The specific problem that made scanning fail to work
> is that for some reason in some cases the channel scanner reuses
> cached data from the database. If you use mythfilldatabase to manually
> sync up the database before the channel scan, channels are properly
> deleted. So to prevent channels being resurrected, you need to sync
> the database before a channel scan. This might not fix the underlying
> problem, but it makes the rescan work, which is all I've been asking for.

I have a guess that this problem might be as follows (might)

- When you delete the channel I believe that the delete from the
channels table happens immediately (not checked the code, but this seems
reasonable).
- However, it *may* not clear down the program table which contains the
"what's on" info? (not checked)
- It's possible (but unlikely based on what I observe normally) that
your deleted channel number is re-used when the channel is added back
again and as a result the program information (what's on) is apparently
immediately visible when in fact it's just the stale info that applied
to the previous channel
- At any later stage doing some kind of refresh of the guide data will
correctly update the guide data (as you would expect)

So (possibly) your problem revolves around you prefering to see no guide
data after deleting and re-adding a channel, versus seeing stale data
when doing the same.  In all cases refreshing the guide data is the only
way to refresh the guide data!

Does this seem plausible?

Ed W