[mythtv] Paid for Plugin dev?

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Sat Apr 18 11:46:17 UTC 2009

* On Fri Apr 17, 2009 at 02:21:04PM -0700, Erich Nachbar wrote:
> Did people discuss before how to pay for the required hardware & bandwidth?
> I did some calculations and it is clear that there will be some sort of
> subscription model required (I presume no one wants to see advertisements
> instead).

Can you give us some of the numbers your've come up with?  *.mythtv.org
runs on our own hardware.

Were you thinking of something that uploaded recorded activity
automatically in the middle of the night and downloaded recommendations
or would it be user initiated and generate recommendations on demand?

> It would end up being very cheap (a few bucks/year) for each household and
> could be free for people who can't afford it (like students).

Not speaking for the Schedules Direct guys, but it could be something
that could make sense for them to support if necessary.  It all depends
on what kind of hardware footprint we're talking about.  The actual data
transferred doesn't sound like a lot.  I assume we're talking about just
titles here, and not title/subtitles or would you want titles and
subtitles to be uploaded and then recommend titles to others.  Would
users be rating things they recorded or would this information be
gleaned automatically by either the number of times a title was recorded
or by the priority it was recorded at relative to other things?

Other questions/ideas.  During the upload process, would you want the full
recorded history or just things that were recorded since last time?  Would
users have to register with this site or would it be automatic by anonymous
ID?  Can you describe a little more about the process you're
envisioning?

--
Chris