[mythtv] Paid for Plugin dev?

Rob Smith kormoc at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 21:32:20 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Erich Nachbar <mythtv at nachbar.biz> wrote:
> Did people discuss before how to pay for the required hardware & bandwidth?
> I did some calculations and it is clear that there will be some sort of
> subscription model required (I presume no one wants to see advertisements
> instead).

We (MythTV) have donated hardware/bandwidth already, we have a
services.mythtv.org model in place and planning to expand that. We
currently have the channel icons service on there for example, and
there's been some talks about adding a geo-location service to help
auto-configure mythweather/mythmovietimes/etc.

So in sort, for it to be accepted into main myth, it would be no cost,
no advertisements, and on our servers, likely requiring data anonymity
and limiting data mining to very specific, myth focused purposes, and
limiting the release of the data very firmly.

Least, that's my vote.
~Rob