[mythtv] Paid for Plugin dev?

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Fri Apr 17 17:31:21 UTC 2009

On Friday 17 April 2009 1:14:20 pm Erich Nachbar wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Thanks for your reply!
>
> Whenever I talk to my Tivo friends they rave about its recommendation
> service and with MythTV cutting out the commercials (love this feature!) I
> feel that sometimes it is hard to know what interesting stuff is coming
> out.
>
> My background is highly scalable web apps & distributed computing and I
> have computed recommendations in the past, so I can take care of the
> backend-side of things fairly quickly.
>
> However I would need someone who is writing a plugin that would allow
> people to interact with the system and to provide their activity stream to
> me, so I can compute recommendations based on what similar people have
> watched.
>
> I looked at the desired feature list and it seemed like something people
> are looking for. So if there is interest, I can pull some more
> requirements, wireframes together for the bidding process.

This has come up before (and it would be a nice feature to have), so I'll just
start out by saying that for such a plugin to be accepted into the main myth
source, the server side will need to be:
 a) open source
 b) run on mythtv.org

Also, please note that this really wouldn't be possible as a 'plugin', it
would need much deeper hooks than are readily available with the existing
plugin interface.

Isaac