[mythtv] No Start with Pulse Audio (Changeset 20310)

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Apr 13 14:16:08 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-12 at 23:53 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> If there is anything I can do here, please let me know. I do quite a bit
> of hacking on pulseaudio, so any problem you're having, I can try and
> sort things out.
> I certainly believe that a better solution than just exiting when pulse
> is enabled can be found!
Colin the problem is very large latencies. This is especially a problem
with Ubuntu, and especially with the as of yet unreleased version called
jaunty which makes it difficult for regular users to remove pulseaudio
and which sets pulseaudio up as providing the ALSA default interface.

> Is there a specific problem with the pulseaudio support patch? If so,
> perhaps I can help make it better if I can be told what's wrong. Would
> detecting pulse and switching to that output system be acceptable?
There is nothing wrong with the patch per say, but the existing patch
doesn't do anything for the latencies when using pulse audio. Not that
I would expect it to.

I have started working on a solution basically it will disable
pulseaudio by default if the audio server is local, but also allow
you to explicitly enable pulseaudio should you really want it.

-- Daniel