[mythtv] No Start with Pulse Audio (Changeset 20310)

Kevin Fox Kevin.Fox at pnl.gov
Fri Apr 10 22:41:49 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 18:03 +0200, Petr Stehlik wrote:
> Petr Stehlik píše v Pá 10. 04. 2009 v 17:59 +0200:
>
> accidentally sent too early, sorry
>
> > Daniel Kristjansson píše v Pá 10. 04. 2009 v 11:40 -0400:
> > > John, for now you should uninstall PulseAudio if you are going to be
> > > running MythTV on that machine.
>
> BTW, I am wondering why PulseAudio promises features like:
>
> * Good low latency behaviour
> * Very accurate latency measurement for playback and recording.
> * Client side latency interpolation
> * PulseAudio is intended to provide lower latency than the software
>   mixers dmix and esd.

See Lennarts thread on the PulseAudio list. To summarize, a lot of
distro kernels shipping today are configured badly and have really bad
latency spikes. The features promised were developed under Fedora and
work as advertised there. When used on other distro's, the code intended
to reduce latency seems to have the opposite affect.

Kevin