[mythtv] No Start with Pulse Audio (Changeset 20310)

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Fri Apr 10 15:40:21 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 09:21 -0400, John Werner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just updated myth installs (6 machines) to the latest trunk variant.
> The SVN pull included the changeset 20310 which disables starting if
> pulse audio is found.  While I fully understand the reasons for not
> wanting pulse audio running, completely failing to start mythfrontend
> seems like a fairly harsh way to handle it.  I would much rather see a
> warning printed then actually making what was a running system suddenly
> not run.
>
> Haivng the sources for it, but I am not sure it is quite as simple as it
> looks, and I would rather not break things.  Is there someone else who
> can either convince me that stopping it from starting is the right thing
> to do or quickly change  trunk/mythtv/programs/mythtv/main.cpp around
> line 83.  [Would it really be as simple as commenting out line 83?]
>         77 int main (..)
>         78 {
> 	79   if (IsPulseAudiRunning())
>         80   {
>         83      return GENERIC_EXIT_NOT_OK;
>         84   }
>
> - John

John, for now you should uninstall PulseAudio if you are going to be
running MythTV on that machine. We're looking at ways to just disable
PulseAudio when MythTV is running, but so far after talking with some
PulseAudio experts have not found a general purpose way to do so which
will work across all PulseAudio setups. The reason for refusing to run
at all is so that packagers will be reminded to put PulseAudio in the
MythTV package's conflicts so both packages are not accidentally
installed on the same machine by those not expert enough to deal with
the problem themselves. This will most likely just be temporary in 0.22,
but depending on the amount of hacking required to deal with PulseAudio
may be the permanent solution for 0.21-fixes (except it will respect
an override environment variable.)

-- Daniel