[mythtv] License

Myth TV mythtvmythtv at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 08:31:35 UTC 2009

Sid Boyce wrote:
*Perhaps this guy would best be advised to google on the outcomes of
challenges for GPL license violations.*

Perhaps you should read my posts again before say something like that, and I
mean MY posts, not the others. I don't understand why is so difficult to you
to understand that I don't want, and I will not, violate any license in any
way.
*
They expect that if the code is free to download, the license is invalid
- WRONG and cannot be enforced - WRONG AGAIN - a sort of mentality that
says why shouldn't we be free to use the efforts of others in our
product without having to give away our own efforts.
No one is forced to use GPL code, they can write their own and make it
proprietary, may be they are too lazy or stupid to do that.*

Please, please, read my posts. Who does expect that? Who has said that?
Alan Perry wrote:
*The original poster was asking a straightforward question which turns out
to have a fairly complicated answer*
**
Exactly. Thank you Alan. That's the point. My first question was
*Hi all,
is there any commercial license of MythTV, besides GNU GPL?
Is there any way of using MythTV code in the development of, for example,
the software of a SetTopBox, without having to release this new software
under the terms of GPL?
Thanks a lot*
**
I was looking for a commercial license or any LEGAL way to use the code,
without any intention to violate anything. If you think (or know) it's
imposible a good answer would be "no", nothing else. My intention was not to
get a definitive answer, only to get opinions about the technical aspects of
the matter.
Thanks anyway