[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r18454 by stuartm

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Sun Sep 28 14:20:31 UTC 2008

On Sunday 28 September 2008 14:48:51 Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Stuart Morgan wrote:
> > I'd very much like as Erik suggests, to keep whitespace and coding
> > standards related changes to seperate commits. However most of the time
> > these things are noticed after you start work and you can either make the
> > changes as you go along or likely, due to time constraints, not at all.
>
> On a totally unrelated project, I just did a massive whitespace tidyup
> commits. All fully automatic, just simple perl regexps. The ideal time
> to do such a change would be just before the next version so as to aid
> porting to the -fixes branch. Doing it now would make porting to the
> current -fixes a little harder, so perhaps something to keep in mind for
> when .22 hits the streets.

Whitespace is easily ignored with patch -l and svn diff/merge -x {-b|-w} etc

I also think we're at a stage where backports to -fixes are now going to start
becoming few and far between. Most important fixes have gone into -fixes,
code in trunk is changing greatly for other reasons anyway (QT4, MythUI,
Scanning refactor) and focus is shifting to addressing new features and bugs
in new code for 0.22. We're short on active developers right now and it's all
very well to imagine that we'll keep pushing back bug fixes to 0.21 until
0.22 is released, however in most cases that's time better spent looking
forwards instead of back.

Ignoring the whitespace changes for a moment, my recent commits also included
standards related changes which might not introduce functional changes or bug
fixes, but IMHO are still important. People tend to copy what they see,
regardless of what the standards might say, if we want future patches to
stick to those rules then we'll get much further leading by example.
--
Stuart Morgan