[mythtv] adding to mainmenu.xml?

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Sat Nov 29 09:34:23 UTC 2008

> Let say I'm writing a MythTV plugin, and the plugin wants to have
> itself on the Main Menu right under the "Watch TV' menu option.
>
> What's the proper way to do that?

Give us a patch to add it in mainmenu.xml
and we will probably commit it.

The <depends>CIKthingy</depends> attribute allows a
menu item to be generated if a machine has the plugin
CIKthingy installed, and will not otherwise.

If the plugin is something that is very obscure
(or that the devs are opposed to), then you could
supply your plugin as a package, with a script
that edits it into meinmenu.xml when it is installed.

Having a plugin edit mainmenu.xml when it is run would
be a crazy. Ignoring the problem of having to exit and
restart the frontend, self-modifying code is just wrong!

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel at ind.tansu.com.au| "Peacemaking is our profession"|
Telstra Net. Eng., Sydney, Australia |Motto of Burpelson Airforce Base|