[mythtv] New Video Decode and Presentation API

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Tue Nov 18 22:15:41 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 18 November 2008 4:42:35 pm David Engel wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 03:19:25PM -0500, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > On Tuesday 18 November 2008 3:02:03 pm Mitch Gore wrote:
> > > From you knowledge does it look like VDPAU will have all the downsides
> > > of XvMC or is it better?
> >
> > Downsides meaning more liable to be stuttery due to less buffering, the
> > greyscale OSD (without colorkey tricks), etc?  Naw, none of that applies.
> > When finished, this should be better than regular Xv playback.
>
> Those downsides and doesn't XvMC also suffer from severly limited
> deinterlacing options?  Regarding deinterlacing, I believe the vdpau
> docs only list bob and weave deinterlacers.  Will there be anything
> like the 2x deinterlacers we have now added to vdpau?

There's more than just bob + weave.  Going by the header, it has options for
"motion adaptive temporal de-interlacing" and a "more advanced version of
temporal de-interlacing that additionally uses edge-guided spatial
interpolation".  It'll also do IVTC, apparently, too.

> Given your druthers, would you rather have a new E8400/E8500 based
> frontend for viewing HD-PVR recordings or save some cash and use vdpau
> in an older frontend with a new video card?  My current frontend can
> only handle 480p HD-PVR recordings and I was about to build a new one
> when the vdpau news broke.

Preliminarily, this stuff looks _very_ promising.

Isaac