[mythtv] "ClassicComm" detector vs "Comm2" detector

Lucas Meijer lucas at mach8.nl
Sun Nov 2 01:05:31 UTC 2008

Eduard Huguet wrote:
> Hi,
>    I'm just digging a little bit on the commercial skip code, and I've
> just realized that there are indeed 2 basic sets of commercial skip
> methods, the "classic" (implemented in "ClassicCommDetector" class)
> and a new one in (implemented in "CommDetector2" class). Apparently
> "Classic" mode is what is being used by default, unless
> 'CommercialSkipMethod' setting is manually changed to a value higher
> than 255.
>
> Is there any documentation out there that explains how different these
> 2 methods perform? I would be interested in knowing a little bit more
> about this, specially about how each one of them performs compared to
> the other.

ClassicCommDetector is the "old" method that has been used since there
is commflagging in myth.
I moved that code into a bit more modular form in the hopes that it
would be easier for myself and others
to expiriment with alternative commflagging methods.  CommDetect2 is
such an alternative, written by
Robert Tsai.  I think it worked quite okay for him.  Your millage may
vary wildly depending on the kind
of channel you are commflagging.

Bye, Lucas