[mythtv] RFC: Add network control for MythVideo to start Video/DVD playback

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Sun May 25 02:30:55 UTC 2008

Hi,

While working on the touchscreen remote control for Myth frontend (still in
the early stages...) I wanted to be able to start playback of arbitrary
Video/DVD files in MythVideo as well as monitor and stop it. As far as I know
the only way to control frontend is over the network control (aka telnet)
interface. Luckily "query location" and "play stop" worked fine with Video/DVD
playback in the Internal player. All I had to do is add the way to start
video or DVD playback.

My first attempt is attached in the ticket # 5394. It is quite rough and I
wanted to discuss some of the issues I faced while implementing this
featurette.

The main issue is that network control interface is an afterthought (no
offence to developers) and is only handled in the mythfrontend and not
propagated to plugins. This adds unnecessary complexity and knowledge of
plugin internals to the mythfrontend. Are there any plans to add proper
network control interface to plugins in the future?

Due to the above issue, Video/DVD playback starts in the Watch Recordings
(aka PlaybackBox), instead of MythVideo gallery/browser/list.

The patch adds a new command "play video [dvd:]filename [resume]", where dvd:
prefix is optional (handled automatically anyway) and "resume" supposed to
start from a DVD bookmark. It is only tested in the Internal player, as that
is what I use for all my videos/DVDs.

I'd appreciate comments and any feedback. Thanks.

--
Denys