[mythtv] Inquiry for user base data in order to try and develop and seup a new MythWeather viewer

Jonathan Martens jonathan at snetram.nl
Mon May 5 07:14:53 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I have been using MythTV for a while now and am very pleased with it.
However since I do not live in the UK, US or Australia I was a bit
disappointed in the available grabbers for MythWeather.

I therefore started looking for sites that contain a lot bigger base of
cities than the current grabbers can source. I quickly stumbled on
AccuWeather and after some searching I stumbled on this link [1] a while
  ago, mainly triggered by the service they provide to ForecastFox, a
weather plug-in for Firefox.

I contacted listed contact a while ago and got a reply that they might
be willing to provide services to MythTV users:

Quote from M. Sylvie, Director, New Media Business Development:

"Regarding your question, would you be disseminating the plug-in to
others? If so, do you have any idea how many people might use this?

Depending on the demands your plug-in will make on our servers, we may
be able to provide the API for free (in exchange for branding)."

Now I would like to now if there is any of such data available, so I can
try and contact them and see if we can work out the details. I could not
find any things on installed user base in the wiki or on the website, so
perhaps someone here does now or can give an estimate.

I also would like to know if I need to be aware of things such as
license issues before continuing as MythTV is GPL and I do not know the
requirements AccuWeather has for using their services, although I guess
they would like to have their copyright message for the data (or some
other branding) when viewing data grabbed from their website.

Is there also a vision on the branding feature mentioned by Mr. Sylvie?

I have developed basic grabber functionality prototypes at the moment
and would really like to move forward and provide this new feature to
MythTV users.

Kind regards,

Jonathan

[1]