[mythtv] job posting: mythcommflag sans database activity

Cyrus Adkisson cyrus at videogenesis.net
Fri May 2 01:57:29 UTC 2008

Hi everybody. My company, VideoGenesis, is looking for a MythTV expert
to do a small job for us. We need mythcommflag to be stripped of its
ties to the mythtv backend and database so that it can function as a
simple command line program. I've personally spent some time digging in
the code to do this with some minor success, but it's readily obvious
I'm going to need someone more familiar with myth to do the job correctly.

Here are the commands we'd like to see:

mythcommflag --nodatabase -X --file file.avi

...where X is one of the following flags (and could include other flags
that are useful in *story detection* of local news):

c: flag commercials normally
s: identify scene changes
b: identify blank frames
l: identify logo on/off areas

All output would just be printed to standard out for analysis by other
programs. This job doesn't require any deep knowledge of how the various
mythcommflag algorithms work, and there will be no altering of that
code. All that has to be done is decoupling the code that's already
there from the db so that mythcommflag can operate on a file on a
computer that doesn't even have mysql-server or myth installed.

The results of this project would be open source and hopefully committed
to the mythtv trunk at some point. The "--nodatabase" flag would allow
mythcommflag to retain all its normal functionality, but be able to run
in a "decoupled from database" mode.

Please send a quote and timeframe to complete the job to me at this
address. Thanks.

Cyrus