[mythtv] MythArchive extension - request for discussion

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 10:49:19 UTC 2008

On 28/03/2008, Shawn C. Powell <shawncp at kcnet.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>  This is in the nature of a hopefully gentle last call since my earlier post
>  provoked no response :).
>
>  I have found use, after creating a native archive, for the following features:
>
>         1.  Temporarily back up the on-disk version of an archived file,
>         replacing it with a link to the native archive version
>
>         so that
>
>         2. The archived version can be viewed/tested
>
>         before
>
>         3. Removing the temporary backup from
>         on-disk storage, leaving the link to the
>         removable media archived version in place.
>         It can then be viewed when desired by mounting
>         the archive.
>
>         or
>
>         4. Removing the link to removable media
>         and restoring the backup in the event
>         the archived version was found to be
>         defective.
>
>  For my own use I have created a python script that accomplishes this.  My
>  question is would others find this useful, and if so:
>
>         1.  Should the funtionality be better implemented,
>         for public use, in the MythTV proper as opposed
>         to a command line script?
>
>         2. To what degree is a concurrency mechanism
>         needed for these operations and does any
>         such support already exist within MythTV?
>
>  What do you think? Any interest? Potential problems?
>
>  Thanks for your time.
>
>  -Shawn

Shawn,

Sounds useful. Could the scheme also be loosened to allow export of
myth recordings to removable media, which you can then put into another
/the same myth box and use them a bit like a DVD? i.e. a menu of the
recordings on the disc together with descriptions. A kind of
MythFormatDVD?
(Why not ordinary DVD? Because ordinary DVD doesn't support non-mpeg2
so requires reencoding)

Cheers
Steve