[mythtv] MythBrowser with QT4

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 26 17:43:37 UTC 2008

On 03/26/2008 11:35 AM, stuarta at squashedfrog.net wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:42:43AM +0100, Jochen Kühner Privat wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking of porting Mythbrowser to QT4, and if this could be done by me.
>>
>> I have a few questions about it:
>>
>> What would be the suggested Solution for Mythbrowser, would it be better if
>> KDE4 or qt is used for Mythbrowser? I think qt is the better solution,
>> because otherwise we have one lib more we need! What do the other people
>> think???
> Personally, I'd start by throwing the existing mythbrowser in the bin
> and starting again.
>
> Perhaps thrash out a design for the new one on the list here to make
> sure all the use cases are covered and off we go.

Anyone a whiz with Firefox extensions and/or plugins?  Because the
current MythBrowser requires KDE libs (that I don't want on my system),
I don't have it, so I had been considering trying to figure out whether
it would be possible to make a
remote-control-usable-with-10-foot-interface Firefox with extensions
and/or plugins, possibly with chrome or XUL changes to make it more
appropriate for the 10-foot usage scenario. Unfortunately, as I have a
computer (with 2-foot interface) in my TV viewing room, it's been very
low priority for me, so I haven't even looked into it.

Of course, it still makes sense to ensure that we have a "built-in"
browser to maintain the MythTV "all-in-one" approach.  And with QT4.4's
webkit, it seems that it would make sense to make a MythBrowser that
uses webkit (if QT version >= 4.4) so those who don't have KDE libs can
still build the integrated MythBrowser.  IMHO, QT 4.4 could be the
minimum required QT version for those wanting MythBrowser and QT 4.3 (or
whatever) could be the minimum required QT version for anyone else.

I just wondered if it might be easier to get a FF-based approach going
quickly, and resolve people's concerns about QT version requirements if
MythBrowser goes to a webkit-based approach.

Mike