[mythtv] Mytharchive Burning Error (Recording includes fonts: üõöä)

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Mar 25 12:08:34 UTC 2008

Jaakko Heikkilä wrote:
> su, 2008-03-23 kello 10:23 +0000, Paul Harrison kirjoitti:
>
>> I did have a quick look at this a few days ago. The problem with your
>> fix is that it can cause other problems because most other functions
>> expect to be passed ascii not utf8 strings. There's also the question of
>> what encoding the volumeid  for a dvd should be in. I did a quick search
>> of the growisofs man page but didn't find the answer to that.
>>

> If I understood right DVD standard recommends ECMA-6 which is actually
> us-ascii character set.

That's what I suspected. Best to convert to plain ascii I think.

>> Possible solutions:-
>>
>> 1. Don't bother to use the first files title for the dvd's volumeid just
>> have a fixed name like before. (my favorite since it's the quickest fix
>> ;-) )
>>
>> 2. Convert the title to ascii and use that for the volumeid. The only
>> problem with this is any accented characters would be converted to the ?
>> character.
>>
>> 3. Convert the title to utf8 and fix the other functions where the title
>> is passed to handle the utf8 strings properly. (proper fix but requires
>> the most amount of work ;-( )
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> Maybe this fourth option is best(?):
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/251871

Thanks for this link some very useful information here.

> Convert unicode characters to closest ascii equivalents.
>
> But if have to choose from these three options, I would go with #2.
> After all title encoding is not very important issue. Title of the dvd
> is hardly never used. Most important thing is that DVD authoring process
> is error free.

OK - I went with option 4 - Convert unicode characters to closest ascii
equivalents :-)

I used the simplest method from the link you provided :-
title = unicodedata.normalize('NFKD', title).encode('ASCII', 'ignore')

Seemed to work OK with the few test cases I tried with it.

Paul H.