[mythtv] Mytharchive Burning Error (Recording includes fonts: üõöä)

Jaakko Heikkilä jaakko.heikkila at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 12:56:40 UTC 2008

su, 2008-03-23 kello 10:23 +0000, Paul Harrison kirjoitti:
> Teet Niin wrote:
> > Thanks for replay
> > Heres what i have found!
> > /usr/share/mythtv/archive/scripts/mythburn.py
> > i changed lines 5192 and 5196
> >
> >             #Create the DVD ISO image
> >             if docreateiso == True or mediatype == FILE:
> > L5192                CreateDVDISO(title.encode("utf-8"))
> >
> >             #Burn the DVD ISO image
> >             if doburn == True and mediatype != FILE:
> > L5196               BurnDVDISO(title.encode("utf-8"))
> >
> > It helped on my case.
> > Ticket(from i got info for burning dvd.s):
> > http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5005
> > Hope some devs look into it and add it into fixes or 0.21.1.
> > If this is really dirty hack then some better solution would be handy :)

Source for the problem is actually write function (line 242) which
generates log, not CreateDVDISO or BurnDVDISO functions themselves.

> I did have a quick look at this a few days ago. The problem with your
> fix is that it can cause other problems because most other functions
> expect to be passed ascii not utf8 strings. There's also the question of
> what encoding the volumeid  for a dvd should be in. I did a quick search
> of the growisofs man page but didn't find the answer to that.

If I understood right DVD standard recommends ECMA-6 which is actually
us-ascii character set.

> Possible solutions:-
>
> 1. Don't bother to use the first files title for the dvd's volumeid just
> have a fixed name like before. (my favorite since it's the quickest fix
> ;-) )
>
> 2. Convert the title to ascii and use that for the volumeid. The only
> problem with this is any accented characters would be converted to the ?
> character.
>
> 3. Convert the title to utf8 and fix the other functions where the title
> is passed to handle the utf8 strings properly. (proper fix but requires
> the most amount of work ;-( )
>
> Thoughts?

Maybe this fourth option is best(?):
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/251871
Convert unicode characters to closest ascii equivalents.

But if have to choose from these three options, I would go with #2.
After all title encoding is not very important issue. Title of the dvd
is hardly never used. Most important thing is that DVD authoring process
is error free.

--
- Jaska