[mythtv] [ANNOUNCE] merging Qt4 branch to trunk

Doug Goldstein cardoe at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 21:22:05 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Paul Bender <pebender at san.rr.com> wrote:

> Janne Grunau wrote:
> > This email is being sent to serve as a warning to users that we will
> > start porting MythTV to Qt4 in trunk monday or tuesday next week (March
> > 17th or 18th, 2008).
> >
> > Due to the low-level of the changes it is not feasible to do the port in
> > a branch. This and the huge amount of changes will most likely cause
> > some instabilities in the coming weeks.
> >
> > It is recommended to switch productive systems to release-0-21-fixes.
> > Not updating for some time would work too but it will miss bugfixes
> > committed to the release branch.
> >
> > The required Qt version will be Qt 4.3.
> >
> > Janne
>
> Is there a compelling reason for requiring Qt 4.3 rather than Qt 4.2?
>
> I ask this because RHEL 5.1 and therefore CentOS 5.1 come with Qt 4.2.1.
> Many people (including myself) use RHEL/CentOS for their backend so that
> they can stay off the OS upgrade treadmill. As of now, the next minor
> RHEL (5.2) release does not ugrade Qt. Therefore, Qt 4.3 would require
> custom RPMs. It would be unfortunate to require custom Qt RPMs in order
> to upgrade MythTV.

The compelling reason is much of the widget manipulation and customization
that I see MythTV requiring isn't available until Qt 4.3. Text layouts,
button views and theming. etc.

I have a couple of issues of Qt Quarterly on my desk discussing the *new*
amazing features of Qt 4.3 with regard to control over widgets and such. It
of course makes a casual reference that this stuff was available back in Qt
3 days so it's not really new... While it's been some time since I've plowed
through MythTV code. Some of the techniques discussed are items I know
MythTV relied on from the Qt 3 series.

--
Doug Goldstein
Gentoo Linux Developer