[mythtv] MythTV Manual

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 19 20:26:43 UTC 2008

On 03/19/2008 02:06 PM, Mitch Gore wrote:
> I have spent some time trying to update the documentation on the wiki
> but have also noticed that there is documentation on the webpage as
> well but it is outdated to .20.
>
> This raises several questions:
>
> 1.  Why is there 2 usermanuals?
> http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInstall
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User_Manual:Index

The non-wiki one is the one that's actually reviewed for correctness.
'nuff said.

> 2.  Can we consolidate them?
> The wiki seems like a better solution as many people can update it
> breaking the task into smaller projects.

Perhaps a better solution is to have something like the MySQL docs in
the wiki.  It contains a non-editable copy of the official docs with a
location for people to write in "notes".  I don't know if it's possible
to do something like that with the wiki we're using.  If not, perhaps
just having wiki pages with links to (or iframes or divs or ?
containing) the official HOWTO pages with "notes" underneath.

> 3.  If not, We should get rid of one to eliminate confusion.
>
> 4.  If we are keeping the non-wiki version how can others, including
> myself, get write access to help update.

Make a patch to mythtv/docs/mythtv-HOWTO.sgml and submit it with a
ticket on Trac.  I thin Robert has also said he would accept text
written as plain text (but /no/ changes to the mythtv-HOWTO*.html files
and no HTML text).

> Just trying to contribute to the project.  I am not a coder and have
> heard a thousand times we can contribute with documentation.

Thanks!

Mike