[mythtv] [ANNOUNCE] merging Qt4 branch to trunk

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 19 14:23:36 UTC 2008

Paul Bender <pebender at san.rr.com> writes:

> Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> Just to dive right in here....
>>
>> This is a great time to do some housekeeping. QT4 port is a big change.
>> Personally I'd vote for the almost-released 4.4. The webkit argument is
>> good enough for me.
>
> Personally, I agree with moving to Qt 4.4. I see little reason to
> require Qt 4.3 over Qt 4.2. However, replacing MythWeb's kdelibs
> dependency with webkit would be nice. I maintain MiniMyth and I would
> love to get rid of the extra bloat created by including the MythWeb
> required parts of kdelibs.

Umm.. If Qt 4.4 hasn't been released yet then why make it a requirement?
Clearly the work being done on the port needs to be done with at most
4.3.  Requiring pre-release software even for developers is generally
a bad idea.  It significantly limits the breadth of testers who can
test the code for you because they might not have the ability (or
desire) to change the distro-provided Qt4.   For example, my version
of Fedora provides Qt 4.3.3 but who knows when (or if!) they would
provide a 4.4 package.  I'm certainly not going to try to build a 4.4
pre-release just to test Myth.

-derek