[mythtv] [ANNOUNCE] merging Qt4 branch to trunk

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Tue Mar 18 13:46:45 UTC 2008

Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Just to dive right in here....
>
> This is a great time to do some housekeeping. QT4 port is a big change.
> Personally I'd vote for the almost-released 4.4. The webkit argument is
> good enough for me.

Personally, I agree with moving to Qt 4.4. I see little reason to
require Qt 4.3 over Qt 4.2. However, replacing MythWeb's kdelibs
dependency with webkit would be nice. I maintain MiniMyth and I would
love to get rid of the extra bloat created by including the MythWeb
required parts of kdelibs.

> Stop whining that x distro only has QT 4.2 and therefore you should live
> in the past. It's not that hard to upgrade Qt4. I'm sure repositories
> for your distro will have qt4.4 builds available when it's released.
> Amarok2 and other apps already require it for the webkit support, and
> Myth should too IMO.

I know that upgrading to qt4.4 is not that difficult. I have regularly
rolled custom RPMs for different packages until my patches were accepted
upstream and found their way into the distributions RPMs. However, there
should be a compelling reason to make it a requirement.

> By the time .23 is out Qt 4.4 will be out and there will be repositories
> available for it for all major distros.

What happened to 0.22?

> Upgrading is not that much of a pain IMO and should not stifle development.

Currently, Qt 4.3 is the minimum required version. Your example (which I
agree with), will be in Qt 4.4. Therefore, making Qt 4.3 the minimum
required version does not make the feature available.