[mythtv] Storage Groups - OK to move files between directories in same group ?

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Mon Mar 17 17:34:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 03:19:27PM +0000, Albert Graham wrote:
> Dave,
>
> Well, you're right, I'm also trying to keep the machine as cool as
> possible when there is no need for it to be hot, just because drives are
> spinning, the drive temps run about 55C which is close to the spec of
> 60C, this is because they are packed so close to each other, also, when
> I umount and  spin these drives down  (e.g. sdparm -C stop /dev/sdb),
> the machine is almost silent, two small fans behind the drive enclosures
> (controlled by sensors) spin down to silent mode and the drive temps
> drop to about 25C
> (when spun down).
>
> The QX9650 Quad Core runs at 19c when myth backend is recording
> (@33Ghz), and 25c (@4Ghz)
>
> I do have a separate frontend (laptop sitting on top of my Sky box (UK).
>
> You can also see I've got a mega fan which runs about 600rpm (and is
> practically silent - speed is controller manually from the front (below
> the water tank). This fan is absolutely amazing.

Quite impressive. I have something similar though, with more, but smaller
disks. I set them up to automatically go into standby (spin down) after a
period of inactivity (say, 30 minutes) - "hdparm -S 241 /dev/sda". They are
still mounted and when something accesses them (recording starts, or frontend
starts streaming), they are spun up again. The only difference is I don't have
RAID on them. If you do hardware RAID (even fake-raid), the whole array is
presented as a single /dev/sd? device and you cannot spin it down. Not sure if
you can spin down individual /dev/sd? drives under a software /dev/md? RAID...

BTW, checked your pictures and noticed you use 5-in-3 enclosures, like ICY
DOCK. I also started with them, but then found out they don't provide adequate
cooling and drives make vibrating noices from time to time, as rails are all
metal. So I replaced them with custom made 5-in-3 brackets with big 120mm fans
in front of them. That keeps drives temperature around 40C.

Regards,
Denys