[mythtv] Problem with titles passed to dvdauthor preventing DVD authoring

Scott Traurig straurig at comcast.net
Sun Mar 16 22:03:31 UTC 2008

> Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:00:46 +0000
> From: Paul Harrison <mythtv at dsl.pipex.com>
>
> Scott Traurig wrote:
> >
> > In trying to use mytharchive to burn some recordings to DVD I ran into
> > a showstopper.
> >
> > From the excerpt of mythburn.log below you can see that myth is not
> > properly escaping the double hyphen in the title and thereby causing
> > dvdauthor parsing of dvdauthor.xml to fail. This will obviously happen
> > with any show title, subtitle, etc. that has a double hyphen in it,
> > which a little reading of the guide will show is quite a common
> > occurrence.
> >
> > If I knew how to work SQL I?d go in and manually edit the database to
> > work around this but sadly I don?t know a damn thing about SQL
> >
> > This fails for 0.21 and 0.22.
> >
> > Comments, criticisms, work-arounds and help ? all are appreciated.
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >
> > Starting dvdauthor
> > DVDAuthor::dvdauthor, version 0.6.14.
> > Build options: gnugetopt magick iconv freetype
> > Send bugs to <dvdauthor-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
> > INFO: Locale=en_US.UTF-8
> > INFO: Converting filenames to UTF-8
> > /home/mythtv/Temp/work/dvdauthor.xml:17: parser error : Comment not
> > terminated
> > <!--Survivor: Micronesia
> >                 <titleset><!--Survivor: Micronesia -- Fans vs.
> > Favorites--><menu
> > ERR:  Error in parsing XML
> > ERROR: Failed while running dvdauthor. Result: 1
> > Terminated
>
> You could just edit the title in MythArchive to remove the double hyphen
> until it's fixed (on the second page where you choose which files to
> include press 'MENU' then 'Edit Details'). The proper way to fix it
> would be to just remove or replace the double hyphen when adding the
> title to the comments in the dvdauthor.xml file created by the
> mythburn.py script.
>
> Paul H.

Thanks for the tip off to the non-obvious menu, Paul, that did the trick.
However I agree about the "proper way". I wouldn't know how to make an
official bug report so I'll leave it to you!

In an "appliance" like Myth there ought not to be any "hidden" UI methods
with the possible exception of pressing menu while actually watching video.
IMHO the way 'Edit Details' is accessed ought to be changed.

Thanks,

Scott