[mythtv] Windows packaging (ticket 4874)

Arnon Meshoulam arnonm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 12:18:03 UTC 2008

Nigel,

I spent a few days implementing your suggestion - to build back mythtv and
mythplugins with a relative prefix = ./plugins
After a lot of work it works, but I would not recommend the solution - it is
too susceptible to changes.
The thought was that providing a relative prefix would allow the executables
to look for the libraries, plugins, etc in a relative path. True, but the
side affect is that make install "installs" all the binaries in a relative
path.
Additional work is then required to trawl through the source directories,
extracting the compiled code and moving it to the correct end location.
There are too many exceptions and the potential to miss files this way.
I suggest we revert to the sable solution - of a non-relative prefix - which
works well, is simple to maintain and break-resistance. We then implement
some WIN32 specific changes to avoid having to recreate a false UNIX
directory structure (c:/lib, c:/include, etc) on the setup package.

Arnon