[mythtv] Enabling VBI for a broader array of drivers and hardware

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Mar 11 19:02:33 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 22:31 -0800, Sam Logen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm posting here to continue the discussion on the
> bugtracker for bug #4891, which seems to be an
> inefficient way to communicate.
>
> To be brief, I have had this discussion with several
> linux driver developers.  They, in turn, have had
> conversations with the firmware developers, and there
> does not appear to be any progress.  As it seems to
> me, the majority believes that all these faults are to
> be fixed on the software side.

Well if they have to be fixed on the software side, it's much
easier to fix this in the driver, no? Otherwise the applications
need to know how delayed each hardware's /dev/videoX file is
with respect to the /dev/vbiX file. Then they need to demux the
stream, insert the vbi and then remux into a new stream.

Now while I don't think MythTV is where the hardware driver
should be implemented, if you submit a patch it will be considered.
We already work around a lot of different driver deficiencies in
MythTV. But you might find it easier to write your patches to the
drivers themselves. You might be able to skip the whole demux/remux
step by telling the hardware to give you a little scratch space
in the stream...

-- Daniel