[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r16471 by kormoc

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Mar 9 19:01:13 UTC 2008

On 03/09/2008 02:40 PM, Rob Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 4:44 AM, Stuart Morgan <stuart at tase.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>  I'm not really sure we want to encourage this usage since it is frequently
>>  mis-used. XMLTV grabbers work automatically with mythfilldatabase with
>>  current Myth, they tell MythTV what they are capable of and what options are
>>  most efficient.
>>
>>  I assume Robert has good reason for not letting mythbackend and
>>  mythfilldatabase run themselves and that he knows how to efficiently use his
>>  XMLTV grabber. However most users I've spoken to who use the cron scripts and
>>  the args field in mythtv-setup do not.
>>
>>  I've no problem with users shooting themselves in the foot, but I don't see
>>  why we should hand them the guns.
> Well, Does anyone have a problem with the files staying gone and just
> saying advanced users can figure it out?

They can always grab them from 0.21-fixes SVN repo...

Though I'd make a case for also removing smartfill--as, rather than
simply running off-schedule (like the cron scripts do), it downloads 6
days of data from SD every day.  True, it may be run through
mythbackend, so it would be on schedule, but grabbing 3x the data
whether it's needed or not...

It's purpose was to allow users who felt they had too much "No Data" in
their guides to fix it a week out to allow for better scheduling.  I'd
recommend that instead, we take the more responsible approach and just
keep a max of 13 days listings (doing +1 and +12) for SD even though +13
might have (at least some) data.

Mike