[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r16471 by kormoc

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Sun Mar 9 11:44:16 UTC 2008

On Sunday 09 March 2008 06:37:52 Rob Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 10:17 PM, Robert Johnston <anaerin at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  So, what is wrong with this scenario? Why can't I call mythfilldb from
> >  cron any longer?
>
> My mistake, I was under a mistaken impression that we didn't support
> that style anymore, but that's not the case. I'll add back in the
> files and you can forget that it ever happened!

I'm not really sure we want to encourage this usage since it is frequently
mis-used. XMLTV grabbers work automatically with mythfilldatabase with
current Myth, they tell MythTV what they are capable of and what options are
most efficient.

I assume Robert has good reason for not letting mythbackend and
mythfilldatabase run themselves and that he knows how to efficiently use his
XMLTV grabber. However most users I've spoken to who use the cron scripts and
the args field in mythtv-setup do not.

I've no problem with users shooting themselves in the foot, but I don't see
why we should hand them the guns.
--
Stuart Morgan