[mythtv] Windows packaging

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Fri Mar 7 01:39:08 UTC 2008

To save filling up the Trac ticket too much, lets discuss
#4874 (win32 - default MYTHCONFDIR for windows) here.

I really don't want to add another MYTH* env. var.
if we can avoid it, and it looks to me like the
MYTHLIBDIR only solves half the problem anyway.
(because mythfrontend.exe still needs to locate
  libmyth*.dll before it worries about filters, et c).

1) There is already code in the MythContextPrivate
constructor that sets m_installprefix relative
to the executable if PREFIX is relative.

e.g. configure PREFIX='./plugins'

and build a zip file which contains:
MythTV
MythTV\mythfrontend.exe
MythTV\plugins\lib\libmyth*.dll
MythTV\plugins\lib\libqt-mt.dll
MythTV\plugins\lib\mythtv\filters\*.dll
MythTV\plugins\share\mythtv\*.xml
MythTV\plugins\share\mythtv\i18n
MythTV\plugins\share\mythtv\themes

That way, the user can unzip on the desktop,
decide that that MythTV looks fantastic,
and move the directory to c:\Program Files\MythTV

2) If a builder wants to make an Install Shield
thingy that always installs as c:/blah/MythTV,
they just set their PREFIX to that, and all the
myth binaries should find everything they need

3) If there is some magical packaging structure
in Windows (e.g. Vista) that I don't know about,
we add code like the current MacOS X one at line 363

Note that none of these will actually help in the
initial DLL loading though. And that is the big
problem for moveable binaries, as I see it.

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel at ind.tansu.com.au|The weak point of
Telstra Net. Eng., Sydney, Australia | the modern car is