[mythtv] MythRecipe submitting questions

Matt S. skd5aner at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 15:12:21 UTC 2008

Not a dev, but I use SVN a lot.  Here's my (unofficial) answers)

> 1)       Is the Mythtv code GPL, LGP, BSD or public?

GPL

> 2)       Do I need to put the license at the top of the file?

It's a good idea, at least in a README - for example:
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/trunk/mythplugins/mythmovies/README

> 3)       I would like to submit the code to some source control site and
> would like to start a bug reporting forum or something like bugzilla? The
> thought is to make MythRecipe an official plugin some day. Should I go ahead
> and include/submit Mythrecipe into the same locations/web site as Mythtv?

Submit a single ticket in trac as an enhancement.  Attach your patches
to that ticket, and update tjhem as necessary.  People can report bugs
back there, although usability and feature discussion should occur on
the mailing lists.

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/

> 4)       Or should I use some other web site/location like source forge?

You can, but I wouldn't recommend it.  Your choice.

> 5)       When I release Mythrecipe for users to install to their system, do
> you guys use something like patcher, simple scripts?

You need to use SVN and the diff system.  Lots of info here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Development_guide
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Plug-in_development_guide
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Submitting_Bug_Fixes#3._Develop_your_patch

Whatever you do, make sure you are developing against a current
version of svn trunk.  Tons of things have changed since .21 and
anything you develop against the released version will likely be
incompatible with all the MythUI and QT4 changes going into place now
and the likely hood of your patch being rejected if you develop
against .21 will be almost guarenteed.

Also - unless your code is perfect out of the gate, expect it to be a
while before the devs have a chance to look over it and consider it
for inclusion.  But don't let that stop you from starting now and
getting it up there - in my opinion it's better to get it up sooner
than later so that it's at least on the radar.

> 6)       Should I go ahead and updated the Mythtv Wiki to include Mythrecipe
> instructions? Where's a good place to put this in the Wiki?

The Wiki is open for anyone to contribute.  I encourage you to do so.
Create a new page entitled "mythrecipe" and go from there.

Best of luck.  Would love an excuse to put a small mythbox in the kitchen.

Thanks!
Matt