[mythtv] problems changing channel in live-tv

Simon Kenyon simon at koala.ie
Sun Jul 27 12:42:13 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> (fixed quoted top-posting)
>
> On 07/26/2008 09:47 AM, Simon Kenyon wrote:
>
>> myShade wrote:

>>> It's most likely the same problem I and more had.
>>> A fellower at the mythtv-users list pointed me in the right way.
>>> There is a ticket and a patch here ->
>>> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2008-July/228461.html
>>>
>> i have to say that the ticket seems to accurately describe my problem
>>
>> but why has this patch not been applied to head? it was added to trac
>> over 3 months ago
>>

> Why is someone who's running trunk--and, therefore, reading the -dev and
> -commits lists, where he must have seen that ticket go through--worried
> about whether the official repo has a patch applied?  After all, you can
> just apply those patches you need to your own working copy.

i missed it
> If your first thought is, "I don't have time to keep up with
> everything," then you should realize that you're not the only one whose
> time is limited.  The devs are doing what they can with the time they
> have and will eventually get to that patch.  Until they do, it's up to
> trunk users to keep up with what they need to make their /unstable/
> systems work.

i'm only a poor user
my contributions have been few and far between
i do spend at least an hour a day tinkering with myth

> Remember, too, high-priority for you doesn't necessarily mean
> high-priority for everyone.  Perhaps devs are more interested in first
> fixing the basic pieces of functionality that are nonfunctional in /all/
> systems rather than just some.  (Things like editable comboboxes, Don't
> Record or other overrides, and /many/ more.)

i would respectfully suggest that changing channels in live-tv is what
could reasonably be called "basic functionality"

> If you want stable, don't run trunk.  Here, by "stable," I mean a system
> that generally works without your having to keep up with all the patches
> posted to Trac and without your having to test/apply those patches you
> may need.

i have run trunk for over two years on my production systems

> Just my opinion...

it is indeed
> Anyway, the short answer is, "Time."  There are, after all, 591 open
> tickets right now.

and some of them are mine :-)
because i do test stuff

i suspect the reason is because most devs don't use live-tv. if they did
the patch would have been applied
--
simon