[mythtv] discussion re Win32 backend tuner/s.

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Jan 29 15:48:22 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 15:10 +0000, Andrei Tanas wrote:
> > While adding these "capture card" APIs is possible,
> > it will be very hard to incorporate them into the
> > existing MythTV source code (which uses V4L).
>
> The key word is "possible", I think.
>
> > May I instead suggest:
> > * FireWire API
>
> May I suggest hdhomerun? It should work without any special treatment.

I would suggest the HDHomeRun as the first recorder as well. The
hdhomerun library has already been ported to MS Windows, and it
uses the ethernet to communicate with the tuner so the effort will
be concentrated on the porting the MythTV recorder code rather than
porting to a new software API.

A firewire recorder, while simpler than some other options due
to a common API for dealing with the device once on the firewire
bus, still involves a number of additional variables that will
make the port more difficult.

-- Daniel