[mythtv] discussion re Win32 backend tuner/s.

buzz davidbuzz at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 06:22:27 UTC 2008

Win32 interested ppl,

Given that the frontend now works, and the win32 backend can stream existing
recordings (if you make them with linux, copy them over, and hack them into
the database), and mythtv-setup works (as much as it can), the thing that
I'm interested in having a crack at (with help) is getting the backend to
record under win32.....

I've been thinking about the options/possibilities with regard to getting
the recorder going in the backend, and I'd like some input on these options:

* custom win32 directX graph and filter building code like seems to be found
in mediaportal - http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/MediaPortal ( perhaps the
MP TVEngine3 code might be worth a look at too?) which typically sources
from a "TV Tuner Filter", and through to a WDM Video Capture Filter. It
seems to be mostly documented in these MS links ) and places they link to,
but could get complex quickly.   A cursory look through the MediaPortal code
seems to sugest that has happened there.  (Maybe I could re-use key parts of
the mediaportal project if the OSS licences are agreeable/compatible):
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms779290(VS.85).aspx
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms784346(VS.85).aspx
*http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms779902(VS.85).aspx*
with a VERY basic sample app:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms778964(VS.85).aspx

* video for windows (old tech, probably not desirable):
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms713492(VS.85).aspx

* "Microsoft TV Technologies"  (seems to be newest, and most hardware
agnostic, not pre-XP compatible if we care.)
brief: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms787278(VS.85).aspx
nice overview: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms787279(VS.85).aspx
a howto in either MFC or ATL C++:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms787820(VS.85).aspx

Do those "in the know" have suggestions as to which of these might be the
best place to start.....?    I'm kinda leaning toward hacking bits out of MP
just to see if I can make it go because I can't find
any decent worked/example code for the "TV Technologies" stuff.

Buzz.