[mythtv] wedged in watch recordings

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 22 17:19:48 UTC 2008

George Nassas wrote:
> Hi, every so often my frontend gets into a deadlock when I'm
> scrolling through the watch recordings menu. I have preview videos
> set to play and it's apparently hung waiting for the preview to stop
> after I've pressed a key to scroll further down the list.
>
> I'm set up for debugging so if there's something I should be looking
> for or I can try I'll do it. Or, I can open a ticket.
>
> The deadlocks are intermittent.

Is it an actual deadlock?
Have you waited a while to see what happens?
Does it hang *forever*?

I have noticed that my system pauses at times, and will not step to the
next recording. This is most apparent when the recording I am scrolling
past is an HD recording. It takes the system a little extra time to
prepare a preview from an HD file, and yes, until it does, I cannot
continue to scroll. But it always recovers in a second to two.

If you want an extreme example, go into your /video folder and delete
all of the *png files. The system will slow down some more as it
recreates all of those too, on each scrolling step.

Unless there is an actual *hang* I think you will just have to live with
it, or turn off previews.

Geoff