[mythtv] Many Myth Patches....

Justin Hornsby justin at mythtvthemes.co.uk
Sun Jan 20 16:53:12 UTC 2008

Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Johan van der kolk wrote:
>
>> This is not the attitude that the developer of vdr has, and is one of the
>> strong points of vdr. If mythtv (read its developers) is intending to stay
>> where it is right now, I would suggest that you consider also these types of
>> "patches", even if only to see if these guys were smarter in some area's
>> then the "official" coders.
>> They know that many of the things they developed would only be considered
>> feature requests, and most likely don’t have the patience to wait. It does
>> not make them dubious or less skilled. Although they could have sent their
>> "patches" up to the trac, so all users could benefit and not only those
>> subscribed to that forum.
>>

> I think you're reading too much into Justin's comment. I'm sure the word
> dubious was just a throw-away comment and wasn't intended to be a
> reflection of the quality or applicability of the patches themselves.
>
> :)
>
> Col

I did intend the 'dubious' comment as a throwaway comment.  Not having
seen the patches I could only take cues from the context.   There should
be no reason to be wary of submitting patches to trac if they enhance
functionality or fix problems.  No reason whatsoever.  In fact a good
few nice little tweaks to mythtv have come in the shape of user
submitted code as well as from the usual suspects and that should
continue to be encouraged :)

I'm seriously considering adding a disclaimer to my sig, just to make
sure whatever I say isn't taken as being an 'official' view of the project.

Justin