[mythtv] RFC: Alerting in Myth

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 22:29:55 UTC 2008

I was considering a feature that I wanted to bounce of the list first for
comment.

The addition of the UI clock on the menu system got me thinking that it
would be straightforward to add a graphic/button element that could be added
to themes (or even a simple textual one) that could query a database table
for outstanding alerts.  If one or more was present, it could display
simply: "2 items require attention" on the menu.

Then we could bind the INFO key (which does nothing in the menus to my
knowledge) to bring up a new "window" that presents simply a list of alerts
that can be read and acknowledged by the user.

As far as what those alerts would be, I was planning only to provide a
framework.  Other developers could then integrate this into their sanity
checks or other code to simply insert an entry into the database along the
lines of how VERBOSE is used today.  This should, of course, be reserved for
only the most important of events.  It would also then be trivial for people
to write contrib scripts that would insert entries based on outside
scripting (such as querying for changed QAM scans or scanning for 0 byte
files).

Any thoughts on this?  It seemed somewhat trivial but could also go a long
way to providing the framework for better end-user notification of events
that affect the system while also providing an open door for outside
contributers to enhance the housekeeping of Myth.

Kevin