[mythtv] mythvideo DB enhancement

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jan 9 16:40:51 UTC 2008

On 01/09/2008 08:58 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 01/06/2008 03:31 PM, George Nassas wrote:
>>
>>> On 6-Jan-08, at 1:59 PM, Chris Pinkham wrote:
>>>
>>> [ talking about storage groups ]
>>>>
>>> I was already leaning towards using a storage group for icons (can't
>>> remember why I thought the idea was dumb) but this seals the deal.
>>>
>> Don't know how others feel on this topic, but I was considering writing
>> a patch that allows the user to create a specially-named Storage Group
>> (i.e. "Previews" or "Thumbnails" or whatever--translated only for
>> display) that, if defined, is used for storage of all
>> mythfrontend/MythWeb/UPnP recording preview pixmaps.  If the special
>> Storage Group is not defined, the previews will continue to be stored in
>> the same Storage Group directory as the recording file.
> or just drop them in a subdirectory relative to the recordings.
>
> /myth/rec        <- recordings
> /myth/rec/thumbs <- thumbnails
>
> Is that a bit cleaner?
> Or is there some SG functionality that we are trying to leverage?

I don't remember what the final decision was on allowing the backend to
serve files across the network from subdirectories of the Recordings
directory (now Storage Group directories), but I was thinking Chris
Pinkham and Isaac didn't want to allow it.  If so, by putting them in
their own Storage Group, the backend will still be able to send them to
frontends/UPnP clients.  If serving files from subdirectories is
allowed, your approach would work quite well, too.

Mike