[mythtv] Mpeg 1 Layer 1 audio

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Thu Feb 28 02:21:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 20:41 -0500, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> The mpeg 2 files with Mpeg 1 Layer 1 audio do not play properly with the
>   internal player. The audio is distorted and the video gets behind and
> drops frames. If I transcode the audio to layer 3, its fine.
> Mplayer/vlc/xine have no problem with the original file.
>
> I don't know if I should report this as a bug, since I don't know what
> audio formats are actually meant to be supported by the internal player.
>
> I got no respone on the users list other than to transcode, which is
> really pretty expensive.
>
> I'm running a recent svn.

Where are you getting layer 1 audio streams from? All I see in
broadcasts are layer 2 audio streams and AC3. Of course, in music
you see a lot of layer 3 stuff, but I don't think ever use the
internal video player for that stuff.

We're using ffmpeg, so if it works there it should work in MythTV too.
But since no one ever sees layer 1 audio in practice it's probably not
tested at all. Maybe it's also missing timing codes? The A/V Sync code
could do a number on it if it doesn't have timing info.

Sample + Ticket => Someone will get curious and fix it.

-- Daniel