[mythtv] Multiple screen setups

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Tue Feb 26 22:23:20 UTC 2008

Trying to resolve a ticket:
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/4738
without breaking anybody's multi-screen setups
(I don't have multihead Linux test hardware)

These are all the different multi-screen
scenarios I can imagine:

1) Xinerama or Mac OS X. One big virtual screen.
QApplication::desktop()->width() and height() span all.
QApplication::desktop()->numScreens() and
QApplication::screenGeometry(0..N) work.

2) Non-Xinerama. --display:0.N can
select an individual screen.

3) Windows. A am assuming the DirectX stuff
works like Xinerama. Dunno about D3D.

4) Direct FB. Barely supported.
Don't know if multi-screen is possible

I have a patch in that ticket which basically
enables the Xinerama-type settings even if
the screen isn't managed by Xinerama.

At the moment, X non-Xinerama users have to use
--display arg to select a different screen.
Markus has pointed out that my patch seems to
get the wrong geometry if users change their
desktop layout frequently, so it needs work.

(Ideally, -O XineramaScreen=-1, or 0 or 1
  would work, but at the moment it doesn't)

If a few multi-screen users could experiment
with this patch, I would appreciate it.

P.S. Déja vu - I last hacked
      "multiple screen sanity" early 2005!

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel at ind.tansu.com.au|"Gentlemen,
Telstra Net. Eng., Sydney, Australia | you can't fight in here-