[mythtv] Memory leaks in 0.20.2-0ubuntu10.1

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Thu Feb 14 05:19:44 UTC 2008

On Wed, February 13, 2008 6:08 pm, Neeraj Gupta wrote:
> hmmm.... bad luck.
> I tried with TV tuner removed... just ran mythbackend and mythfronted
> (networked) but still the backend lost 95% memory within minutes.
> I was watching a recorded program (HD).
> I stopped backend but still didnt get the memory back.
>
> free -m shows same.. same info in top.
> ps aux --sort=vsz shows some other programs which are taking up around
> 600MB
> out of my 2GB physical RAM. After myth server-client run, free memory is
> only 180MB :(
>
> Any luck ?
> Should I compile mythtv from source ? Any compile time options ?
> I have the utuntu packages right now... just did apt-get install mythtv
> mythtv-themes

Are you sure the memory is being eaten by MythTV?

When you run top on your backend type "M" to sort by memory and see what
your other big users are.

Also how much is being used by buffers and cache. There is a chance that
because of the amount of I/O you have a lot of memory being used as cache..

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz
sales   - sales at openmedia.co.nz